Want to add your event to the calendar? Send us your information by contacting us.
- This event has passed.
2017 National Conference on Farm Access, Tenure and Succession
June 13, 2017 - June 16, 2017
Land access, agricultural land tenure and farm succession are priority challenges for US agriculture. USDA and groups across the country are addressing these issues with research, policies, programming and professional development. Land For Good (LFG), a nonprofit organization specializing in land access and transfer, will host a national conference on these topics June 13-16, 2017 in Denver, Colorado.
This 2017 conference builds on the national Changing Lands, Changing Hands conference organized by LFG in 2009, and the burgeoning work on these topics since then. LFG and a national committee are planning this conference targeted to educators, government and NGO groups, policymakers, and other service providers and advocates from across the nation.
Topics and themes include:
- Land access and tenure concepts: Historical context, trends; a farm tenure framework
- Land access and transfer policy and research: federal, state, local
- Farm seekers: Who are they?What do they need?
- Land access strategies and assistance: financing land access; leases and leasing; paths to ownership; non-traditional models; linking programs; easements and conservation
- Landowners: Non-operator landowners, farmland investors, public lands
- Succession and transfer: planning challenges; heir property; farmers without successors
- Equity challenges in land access: structural racism, bias and diversity
- Special topics: Native lands; urban ag; immigrants and refugees
- Professional development: curricula; succession advisor teams; regional networking
We are passionate about these issues and excited to hold a gathering for over 200 people who share our concerns. As an organization that cares about land access for our next generation of producers, how agricultural land is held, and how farms and ranches are passed on, you won’t want to miss this conference!